Keep your cat safe

Following are some common foods, plants and medicines which pose a threat to our furry loved ones.

 

Foods that your cat shouldn’t eat:

Alliums such as onions including shallots, garlic

Reduced appetite, pale gums, lethargy
Orange/red urine, damage to red blood cells, anaemia

Spoilt raw meat

Unfresh or decaying food can result in E.coli or Salmonella poisoning

Cooked bones

Injury and tooth damage
Choking

Caffeine and chocolate

Vomiting and diarrhoea, abdominal pain, increased temperature, and thirst
Arrhythmia, tremors, seizures

Why cats shouldn't eat chocolate

Alcohol and raw dough

Vomiting and diarrhoea, perplexity, breathing difficulties
Tremors, coma, death

Milk and other dairy products

Diarrhoea, discomfort, digestive issues

Grapes, sultanas, raisins, currants

Vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, lethargy, hyperactivity, loss of appetite
Acute kidney failure

Dog Food

Deficiencies: doesn’t contain vital nutrients such as taurine, Vitamin A, sufficient protein, arachidonic acid.
Heart disease, poor vision

 

Plants that are dangerous to pets…

There are only a select few plants that are poisonous to your pets, but some can make your cat (or dog) seriously ill and can even cause death. It’s important to know which ones to avoid so you can prevent your beloved pet from ingesting these highly toxic plants. Here’s the list:

Autumn Crocus
There are two types of Crocus plants, one that blooms in the spring (Crocus species) and the other in the autumn (Colchicum autumnale). The Crocus species are more common and are part of the Iridaceae family. Ingesting this plant can cause general gastrointestinal upset including vomiting and diarrhea. 

And the other type (the more dangerous of the two) is The Autumn Crocus, part of the Liliaceae family. This plant contains colchicine and is highly toxic to your pet. It can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure.

Azalea
The Azalea is in the same family as rhododendrons. These plants can cause serious harm to your pets. Eating even a few leaves can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling, and without immediate veterinary attention, the pet could fall into a coma and possibly even die.

Cyclamen

Ingesting the roots of this flowering plant can cause extreme vomiting and even death.

Kalanchoe

Eating the Kalanchoe, a common succulent plant, may cause vomiting, diarrhea and heart arrhythmias in pets.

Why cats shouldn't eat chocolate

Lilies

While some lilies are benign there are some dangerous lilies too. So what’s the difference? Peace, Peruvian and Calla lilies consist of oxalate crystals. These can cause minor irritation, such as tissue tenderness in the mouth, tongue, pharynx, and esophagus – which can result in minor drooling.

The more threatening and potentially fatal lilies are true lilies, and these include Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies. These types of lilies are extremely lethal to cats! Even the smallest consumption (2-3 petals or leaves) can result in severe kidney failure. If your cat is seen ingesting any part of a lily, take them (and the plant) to a vet straight away for medical examination. The sooner seek medical attention, the more efficiently the poisoning can be treated.

Orleanda
Oleander is an outdoor shrub that is extremely poisonous to your pet. Eating the leaves or flowers from this plant may cause severe vomiting. It also slows the heart rate and, in some cases, can lead to death.

 

Dieffenbachia
This is a popular indoor plant which, if ingested, can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.

 

Daffodils
Daffodil flowers contain lycorine, which are an alkaloid with strong emetic properties. Consumption of the bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory problems. The crystals are found in the outer layer of the bulbs, and once ingested, cause severe mouth tissue irritation and drooling. Daffodil consumption can result in more severe symptoms so if an intoxication is witnessed or symptoms are seen, we recommend seeking veterinary care for further treatment.

 

Lily of the Valley
The Convallaria majalis plant contains cardiac glycosides which will cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, decreased heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures. Pets with any known exposure to this plant should be taken to the vet immediately for examination.

Sago Palm

The Sago Palm thrives in warmer climates, and is considered a household and outdoor plant. Ingestion of the leaves or seeds can pose a threat to pets causing vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure and, in some cases, death.

 

Tulips and Hyacinths 
Tulips contain allergenic lactones while hyacinths contain similar alkaloids. The bulbs on these plants are extremely toxic and when the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue discomfort to the mouth and esophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, and even diarrhea. Depending on the level of intoxication, as long as your pet is treated by a vet they will generally recover well.

Lastly, if you notice your animal is ill after eating a foreign plant, take them to their veterinarian immediately for care.

More to come on medicines…